Following my last post couple of weeks ago, I am beginning to post a series of proposed solutions for our traffic problems. First of lets start with the most basic question – Is there a traffic problem in Chennai? Answer: Yes. No arguments.
Now, lets move on. What can we do about this? A wide range of ideas have been floating around the Internet – starting from educating drivers to burning bad drivers on a stake. Lets take a realistic approach. What’s stopping us from implementing a good road traffic system here in Chennai?
- Bad infrastructure
- Corrupt law enforcers
- Too much political intervention in the judicial system
- Ignorance of traffic rules by public
- Utter disregard to traffic rules by public
- HUGE Population!
- No accountability at any level in the traffic department
- Lack of belief on people’s part that things could possibly be better
Ok. Now we have a list of problems. What can we do about it? It’s not going to be an easy task. It’s going to take time. It’s going to take interference and commitment from the educated lot in the population. But, it’s going to be possible. Let’s, start from the basics. Let’s go back to the rudiments of the Indian Traffic system. Let’s revisit the city planning model. Let’s see what can be done without impossible goals stopping us from making the place a better place to live in. First and foremost, I am not interested in trying to solve the traffic problems by infrastructure solutions alone.
Let’s see why would want to make things better in the first place. What’s wrong with this chaos? What real change are we trying to bring about here.
- Make driving SAFE
- Make driving less-stressful and pleasurable
- Make the traffic faster
- Increase pedestrian safety
- Making it easy to deliver justice in the event of accidents
- Accommodating the ever increase need for space for more and more vehicles on the road
- Most importantly – To ensure that the drivers and passengers on the road are still alive at the end of the journey
- Setting an example to the coming generations.
The next series of posts from me are going to explore each change we can bring about to make traffic better. I request readers to join in and comment freely on the proposed solutions. 😉